“In Spain, Interim Management is still seen as temporary employment.” We have talked to our Valtus Alliance colleagues at EPUNTO Interim Management to learn more about the Spanish market.
There are two fundamental obstacles to the development of this profession. Firstly, there is a lack of knowledge about the value of Interim Management and secondly, it is considered an expensive service. Today, the Spanish market is relatively small, but growing quickly. After the pandemic, the demand has increased significantly, and the expectations for the coming years are very positive and promising, with other European countries, such as France, Germany, and the Netherlands, as a reference.”
More focus on digital business transformations
During Covid-19, most Interim Management assignments were focused on crisis management, financial restructuring, and supply chain optimization. In addition, in the last 3 years, there has been a change in the interim projects that have become more focused on digital business transformation and growth, due to a much more positive global market and implementation of new technologies. As a result, a large number of Spanish and multinational companies are seeking highly experienced and skilled professionals in these areas. The Interim Manager is not a “human resource” but a management tool.
EPUNTO Interim Management’s business model is based on excellent service delivery
The business model of EPUNTO Interim Management is similar to most international Interim Management companies, based on excellent service delivery (sales processes, administration, quality assessment, execution monitoring, etc.) to solve the customers’ challenges and provide them with fast, measurable added value. It is a premium service and has a cost that is directly proportional to the positive impact it has on their bottom lines. The professionals they work with have documented successful careers and an extensive track record for solving specific situations.
General Management most in-demand
The most in-demand roles within Executive Interim Management are:
- General Management
- Financial Management
- Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
The main advantage of hiring the services of an Interim Management company is that the Interim Manager assigned to the project will solve situations that no one else in the organization can. It is important to clarify that Interim Managers are not simply executives with great experience, they are specialized in specific types of business-critical challenges that require a quick diagnosis based on the identification of threats and opportunities, a clear plan of what is necessary to solve problems by making the most of, or transforming, available assets and immediate execution of measures to achieve results and a strategic effect.
What is important to be a successful Interim Manager?
EPUNTO Interim Management tells us that leadership is by far the most essential skill for an Interim Manager, as success almost always depends on the capacity to align people towards a common goal. When companies face significant changes or crises, their teams need someone to clearly communicate what is happening, why it is happening and, most importantly, how the plan to resolve the situation is going to be executed. In these difficult situations, technical skills and experience are not enough to engage the teams through these stressful processes and deep uncertainty. To be successful as an Interim Manager you also need to be experienced in:
- Special critical situations, crises and change management
- Team management, empowerment, and empathy
- Problem-solving and decision-making under extreme pressure, quickly and with limited information
- Achievement of measurable results
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Communication and inspiration
Interim Management is the best solution for an organization when:
- Critical situations and crisis management
- Solving problems for which the organization is not prepared and does not have the necessary resources and lacks relevant knowledge and experience.
- Management of profound or stressful organizational change:
- Merger & Acquisition and integration processes (due diligence, negotiation, and executive management)
- Restructuring of areas, departments, or business units
- Business restructuring and turnarounds
- Professionalization of family businesses
- Preparation of generational succession and mentoring of junior managers
- Execution of cost reduction plans
- Execution of digital transformation strategies
- Cultural transformation and change management processes
- Temporary replacement of key executive positions:
- Termination or resignation
- Temporary leave (for example sick leave)
- During a long recruitment process
- Management and development of new businesses:
- Strategic and operating model redesign and execution
- Development of new business models
- Development of new market niches
- Launch of new product or service lines
- International growth and up-scaling
- Management and development of international expansion processes:
- Launch and management of subsidiaries in international markets
- Evaluating new markets and launching new businesses
- Solutions for critical situations in international markets
- Consolidation and professionalization of startups:
- Executive management of startups and spin-offs
EPUNTO Interim Management is a member of Valtus AllianceTM, a global network of the leading Interim Management providers.